a few years ago (2014) I commissioned development of an app aimed to guide tourists along historical paths (WWI fortifications) and display pictures and text when approaching each bunker.
App was developed for a local municipality in order to develop historical tourist resources available in the area.
App was developed and deployed, but was later dropped by the municipality and was eventually removed from ios and android store.
As part of the agreement with the developer, I was given the complete "source code" package.
App would use several plugins (geolocation, display of google maps and custom maps (digitized tiles), text to speech, QR code reading, access to archived data (paths, images, documents...) from an online repository created with Wordpress.
App would download historical archive when connected, then be able to follow itineraries and display relevant content even offline.
Archive created via the WP back end contained
- map tiles
- GPX itineraries and waypoints
- articles (text, images) associated to waypoints
I believe app was developed using Cordova + JQuery Mobile.
I believe it could be useful to tourists visiting our area, so I am evaluating how I could revive it.
What I need done NOW:
- check that the source code I was provided is indeed complete
- install a fully working environment on my machine, where app can be created (restoring all required settings, plugins...)
- setup a compatible Wordpress repository for app to collect archive from
- make app available on Android store, possibly also Apple Store.
- document all required components
What I do need as soon as app is up and running:
- replace WP repository with a different/better content manager, that is easier and clearer to use
- add some modifications to app, as needed
Aa a result, I would require that a "working environment" for development be made available on my machine, so to be sure that app can be "created" and maintained in the future, if required.
All further details can be provided on your request.
A wireframe for current app working is available here, as is the latest apk:
[login to view URL]
Thank you for your feedback,