I would like to set up a parenting community specific to the state of Florida. I have a few areas I'd like to offer and am sure this will evolve. This will extend back to my retail business ([url removed, login to view]) by featuring it as the boutique for the site. I'm hoping to eventually offer advertising space as an add'l avenue of revenue.
1. I'd like parents to be able to post their birth story and/or birth announcement - preferably with a domain that they can share (like [url removed, login to view]). This page would offer a place for a picture if desired, baby's name and stats and users could post their birth stories. Maybe then they could add updates as the baby grows. They could then send the link to their birth story to friends and family. I'm not sure the best way to handle this with Drupal, maybe blogging?
2. Iâ€™d also like users to be able to form their own local groups for meeting up with families in their area (Orlando Momsâ€™ Group, etc).
3. Iâ€™d also like parents to be able to share and review where they are finding their alternative parenting products in major metro areas â€“ like where they find homeopathic remedies in Orlando and possibly be able to review that store or where they can shop for cloth diapers in Miami and provide a review. With this weâ€™d provide the outline of geographical areas and product categories and the parents local to those areas will fill in with their experiences.
4. Another area that Iâ€™d like to see is â€œday tripsâ€ or local activities contributed by users in that area.
5. A forum is important too.
6. Option to translate to Spanish?
Iâ€™m hoping the ability to post their birth stories and announcements will bring in our target audience and then they will stay there to find a community of like-minded parents both in their local area and a virtual community. Of course Iâ€™m hoping that this will also turn into sales of our products and eventually of ad space to businesses looking to reach the same target.
I have not yet registered the name or selected a host. This is a project I have been thinking about for quite some time but donâ€™t have the knowledge to implement it. Iâ€™m planning to use a free theme to keep costs down at this point. I will need logo work at some point but that can come after the community is set up. Iâ€™m hoping to find someone that will not only do a quick install but also be available to consult as this grows. Since I do not know my way around Drupal, I will need recommendations on how the modules fill the above numbered needs. I like Drupal and like what Iâ€™ve read about the following modules but donâ€™t necessarily need them all.
My Blog Log