Misfit3D is one of the easist to use, low ploygon game modellers that is available across platforms. We love to use Misfit but its export of skeletally animated formats is limited to Milkshape format.
Misfit3D is also an orphan, the original developer stopped development in 2009. See the SF site [url removed, login to view] or the projects home page [url removed, login to view]
What do we want?
We require export function of either smd (valve) or md5(quake) files from Misfit3D for use in the Cube2 engine
Why do we want it?
An MD5 or SMD exporter would enable us to cut a number of conversion steps in our toolchain in the development of our free, open source game based on the Cube2 engine. It would also be a boon to anyone who wants to model for the Cube engine, or other indie developers in general.
1. The export process needs to be robust and reliable, keeping the integrity of the model, including the animations, textures and tags.
2. The result, whether it is acheived with a plugin or new executable will need to work on Windows and Linux, and would be released with open licensing.
3. We can't really offer any technical help, but we would point out the source & a number of resources are available at the sites mentioned earlier. The Valve SDK contains all you need for working with smd files and there is something similar at the Quake dev site for md5. The Cube Modelling guide may be of help - [url removed, login to view]
4. The last released Windows version of Misfit3D still did not support the plugin architecture.
5. There remain a number bugs in Misfit3D, and if memory serves me correct they are worse in the Windows version than the Linux version.
6. You need to be experienced in C++ and OpenGL, and a knowledge of model formats would be very beneficial.