iPhone client-server app will have the following high level requirements. The chosen developer will need to comply to a more detailed list of requirements, mock-ups, and assessments.
1. Translation Dictionary. Chinese to English, English to Chinese
2. Text to speech. You can translate and it will speak the words in Cantonese, Mandarin, or English
3. Optical Character Recognition (OCR). If the words you wish to translate is not already in the database, you can use your phone camera to take a picture of the words you wish to translate. Language must be in Chinese and English.
4. SQL or other server side database that exposes secured web services e.g. uploadPhoto, sendComment, createProduct(...), saveTranslation, etc.
5. Community/User ratings and comments for restaurants, but also identifies popular dishes
6. Community User generated content, that includes photos of dishes or products that can be added to the retailer/restaurants menu
7. Good documentation and coding best practices
Please be able to answer these questions in your response:
1. You are familiar with iPhone development, client-server side programming with a native iOS app and a server & database (Tomcat, IIS).
2. You can provide a quick assessment on how to do OCR in Chinese and English. The goal is not to do R&D, but to reuse whatever GPL/free libraries out there. If this cannot be done, please explain.
3. Good with graphics design and UI.
4. Provide effort estimate for time and cost, and when you can start
Pluses: You are familiar with the Chinese language.
I will spend 7-14 days reviewing proposals before sending back responses, so please be patience.