We are trying to develop a Web site for the entire aviation industry. Pilots, flight schools.
It will be a community site, with forums, private messaging, and more. There will be separate databases for users, aircraft/aircraft fields, etc.
We will be pulling data from the FAA (Federal Aviation Admission):
Pilot Database loaded as master file
Airport Directory loaded as master file
Aircraft Type loaded as master file
Flight Schools: Loaded as master file
FAA repair stations by type: master file
CFI/CFII (certified flight instructors) loaded as master file
This community site, when someone logs in, will see their local airport conditions, weather, notifications for PMs, etc.
Custom modules/functionality needed:
1) Access NOAA API or FTP site to retrieve latest information. Parse and show in module airport Wx information
2) Access NOAA Weather charts (4 times/day) and update radar of regions they cover, and Weather depiction charts.
3) Need module for getting area Wx (4day forecast)
4) Need module for getting airport information.
5) Need module for message boards/forums: Ability have members only forums.
6) Need user to user messaging (PM)
7) Facebook logins/connect
8) Online chat room
9) Ability to post articles and material with profile properties that if matched can be use on page.
10) Need module for selling airplanes: Searching by aircraft properties (lots of properties, and must be standardized because this part can become confusing if you are not familiar with the aviation industry)
11) Need module for business account home page and information
12) Ability to search for services by describing properties, or distance (to rent planes)
13) Need module to post aviation job listing, search for job type based off key fields
14) Need module for member site, payola subscriptions
I will be working along with you throughout the entire project, explaining how things should work and how it should all come together. We won't be doing much in terms of design until everything is functional. Then we will provide you with custom design to implement.
As far as using CMS's and Frameworks. I will accept any of the following: CodeIgnitor, Yii, MVC, Zend, CakePHP, Joomla, Drupal or DotNetNuke. I am open to suggestions as far as you can explain WHY you want to use a particular framework or CMS.
I need well thought out responses in regards to what we will use to build this. Even if it's Ruby on Rails.
I am open to bids now. We would like to Interview people through Skype - vinautomatic