The requirement is to establish the size, market penetration and viability of Aquaponics in the UK. The following possibilities should be part of the conclusions of the report:
1) Incumbent Aquaponics market size and players - is this a fragmented industry or consolidated? If fragmented, is consolidation an option? Is Private Equity active in this segment, is so who and how? What is the geographic location of the incumbents? Do they serve local markets or foreign or both? Is geographic location a limiting factor or not that relevant? On a sliding scale of importance, is skill/knowledge of the management/labour more important than the technology/automation/facilities and why?
2) Type of fish production existing and future growth (Tilapia or other species, frozen or fresh, packaging, processing, distribution, typical customers, market size, outlets)
3) Type of horticulture production (products, frozen or fresh, packaging, processing, distribution, outlet, typical customers, market size, local or export. Which of these type of Horticulture are most adaptable to the Hydroponic "feeding" of plants from water circulating through the fish tanks?
3.1) Floriculture includes the production and marketing of floral crops.
3.2) Olericulture includes the production and marketing of vegetables.
3.3) Pomology includes the production and marketing of pome fruits.
3.4) Viticulture includes the production and marketing of grapes.
4) Are there government grants and funding schemes? Is the government pro or against this industry? Tax credits or special dispensation or incentives?
5) What is the environmental impact? Are there carbon credits? Health and Safety?
6) What are the barriers to entry for new players? What are the barriers to expansion? Is this a scaleable business?
7) What is the optimal size of Aquaponics production and facilities? One large production facility or multiple small facilities coordinated by a central hub? Volumes produced and cross section of incumbent players?
8) Input costs analysis: feed, electricity, water, labour, maintenance, insurance, taxes, administrative, marketing
9) Market analysis: growth potential and growth markets accessible from UK (primarily SW England) as a base production, distribution and marketing?
10) Equipment suppliers analysis
11) Management structure of a typical fish farm
12) Any other research to provide investment decisions of whether to enter the market or find alternative industry?