I am looking to design a job aid to help me in my daily tasks. I sell tickets at the booth in the local subway system.
Aesthetic appearance is not important here -- a plain old grey Access based program will do the trick.
The program must do the following:
Table with different products sold (like monthly pass, or unitary ticket, etc...)
Two buttons on screen: Start of day, Manage products
1) Start of day (click this and brings to inventory input screen)
- I should be able to set up the program by being able to input the quantities of each product I have received to start my day, i.e. the initial count of the day, eg. 30 monthly passes, 500 tickets, etc.. I should be able to input the date (or fetch from system date) Once info is entered, brings me to sales screen (only accessible if valid data is entered into Start of Day screen)
2) sales screen
- should display all products (perhaps accompanied by thumbnail picture)
- This should be a simple screen. When I make a sale, I can push a button on the keyboard, let's say "1" for the monthly bus/metro pass, and in a table on the right, it should show $65. If I would have pressed it twice, it would show $130 on that line.
- on each line for a given product, I should see the total amount $ for that item, corresponding to how many times I pressed the button.
- Bottom right of the screen should show total.
Example: a customer wants 1 monthly pass and 2 student monthly passes. I would press "1" only once for the regular pass, and I would push "2" twice for the student passes. Display would show:
Adult Pass: $65
Student Pass: $70
Unit ticket: $0
Student ticket: $0
Total owed: $135
(In the student pass field, I'd see $70 because unit cost is $35 and I pressed twice on key "2".)
At the bottom of the screen I should be able to access a field (by pressing a certain key) where I enter how much the customer gives me (cash).
I push enter and a popup shows me an OK/cancel box showing me the change I owe the customer. Click OK - new transaction, screen is back to $0 and inventory is reduced for each item. Click Cancel, and inventory not affected, back to main screen.
At any time, choose the wrong product, user can press a given key to erase all values back to $0. Inventory unaffected.
3) End of day report (accessed by pressing a certain key)
- Should appear on screen:
Each product, initial quantity input and corresponding total value, final quantity and corresponding value.
- Upon closing event (closing the report), popup message "Do you want to write report to disk?" ok/cancel button, where "cancel" will return to the main sales screen, ready for more transactions. OK will save file (please include date in the file name).
This is the big picture.
How fast can this be done and how cheap?
Remember, this is personal tool (job aid) ... not for a company. I'm not rich!