Yesterday I posted a job to write an app that monitors and sends an SMS through standard POTS line. However I think we have another option so I am re-posting and will remove the other job from yesterday.
I have a situation where in my business we have a highly unreliable cable connection. We also have a solid T1 but don't yet have the ability to automatically switch over to T1 if the cable connection fails. There are a million ways to make this situation work so rather than proposing a mandatory solution, I will tell you the minimum requirements and you can propose the cheapest, fastest way to allow me to receive a text alert on my mobile if the cable connection goes down.
I am looking for someone who can create a simple app or script (must run on both Windows machines and unix machines so it probably needs to be perl, although I might be flexible here) that will do a very simple task:
1. The general idea is from a machine that is attached to the cable connection, perhaps through one NIC card, to ping an external server based on the entry of an IP address and port number.
2. It will ping this service every n seconds. The length of time should be specified in the top of the script or in a config file.
3. If a valid ping result is returned, then the script continues to run and sends another ping in 30 seconds.
4. If a valid ping result is NOT returned, it should try to ping up to 5 other IP addresses/port numbers send a message to the system administrator via text message either THROUGH A SEPARATE MODEM or opssibly thorugh another NIC card tht is connected to the T1.
5. The app, through an Options screen, or script at the top of the script in variables, should specify the following:
A. The length of time between pings.
B. The server(s) to be pinged and associated port number(s).
C. The System Admin's phone number and email address (perhaps we can send them an email to their phone which gets converted into a text message... most cell phones have this capability and I know mine does.
6. The system should be able to send text messages to up to 10 System Admins.
I need this script developed inexpensively and ASAP. Please feel to propose how you would do it fastest and most inexpensively. I'm thinking that monitoring the cable connection on one NIC and then sending an email out the other NIC would be all that's necessary.
IMPORTANT! PLEASE NOTE:
If you want to win this bid, don't just copy and paste a boilerplate standard reply that lists everything under the sun that you have done and all the skills you have. I only want to receive bids from developers who have read this description carefully, who can quickly deliver this specific application quickly, from a developer who wants the job and from a developer who can start and end this job quickly. DO NOT SEND ME YOUR PORTFOLIO UNLESS IT SPECIFICALLY APPLIES TO WHAT I AM ASKING FOR. Standard form letters will promptly be deleted.