EP2 is a social event planning site. People can make their plans with friends and family, and the site allows for tracking, sending out information, invitation, plan status, etc.
The site EP2 will send out e-mail, SMS, and IM alerts for plans that are to be starting in a few hours. For this a simple scheduler is required, in order to allow for the following sequence of events:
- User creates a new plan
- Invited people respond when they can and cannot attend
- The user confirms the date to the people, and the site registers a job ‘alert to be send' 24 hours before the date
- A scheduler is run once every hour that checks for the existence of a ‘job' to perform
- Once the specified date (hour) has been reached, the scheduler executes the job by sending an alert to the people that were invited
- The job is then flagged as performed
This project aims to create the job scheduler as a Drupal 5.1 module. The module must use the standard Drupal features to perform this task.