Similar to how [url removed, login to view] can play their own videos back to back, without a user clicking on the "next" video, this script (or Wordpress/Joomla plugin - an optional way to do it) would do at least the following:
(1) allow a list of video urls/locations to be stored in either a text file or xml file
(2) allow the video list to be played one after another, in the order of the text/xml file list
(3) allow the list to be played once, or repeated
(4) skip bad urls/invalid videos
(5) use an (open source) flv flash video player to play the videos
(6) allow videos from [url removed, login to view] to be in the list (see below for other optional sites)
(7) allow advertising or other videos to be played between videos - randomly or every 5th or 10th video having an ad video inserted and played.
(8) be secure
(9) be insertable into existing web pages
Other nice-to-have items:
(a) allow option to randomly play the list
(b) allow the list location to be on one server (mine) and the player to be embedded in a "space" or blog page somewhere else.
(c) allow the list to be updated and the script would check and find the new items
(d) also allow urls/videos from [url removed, login to view], [url removed, login to view], google video, and other popular sites.
(e) if it is a WordPress plug in, could be an expansion of the existing plugin that allows embedded video
There are other plans for expanding the script, such as allowing the lists to be edited and managed online, so this can be a longer-term assignment for the script-writer with the appropriate skills.
The starting point is the API for youtube, such as pulling the length of the video: [url removed, login to view]