A freelancer converted an older site design of mine to CSS/tableless a few weeks ago, and as I continue to use this new template (Joomla) I keep discovering things that need to be fixed.
Not contractor's fault, he had originally bid on something else but project changed.
For this job though you must be an EXPERT at CSS template design, not just "OK" at it. If you're the kind of person who says "That can be done in HTML but not CSS" then don't bid on this job.
The site now has a very simple design w. some problems:
- 2 px space above menu in IE (remove)
- Main content area (middle column) should have min-width of 492 but have but be fluid (within design of site - 149 pixels each side to left and right) above that width.
It should expand to contain extra wide blocks of text instead of breaking template. Right now when 404 page returns long URLs, elements in left column jump to middle of screen instead of staying on left edge of page (template collapses inwards)
- module positions at top and bottom of center column are right-justified (should be centered)
There are also some module styles (right column) I need changed:
- module text lists should not be indented
- module headers should be h3
- module ul lists should use text bullet (currently nothing)
- module ol should use number (currently nothing)
- Need to style elements of "Tags component" by removing the graphic BGs and dropping tags in bot display to default size of 11 px (instead of 24px).
- Also remove hover style on component display tags so link hover style is same as rest of site. Will need to change "Tags" component's CSS file for these.
- make footer text into its own module that is centered in center column
- take div styles out of template (applied as fixes after last job) and apply them in css stylesheet instead
- am using a module that lists weblinks in three columns. The area the links are listed in seems to be fixed at 492 px wide, want it to be 100% fluid.
- Site should have minumum width of 790, but be 100% fluid above that width. Banner right now is supposed to be a 430x64 px PNG centered on a black BG. Designer achieved this by making it 1000 px wide and giving it a black BG. Would rather find some way to center banner without making the banner itself so wide. Right now when site expands too wide, template breaks as banner area cannot expand past 1000 px wide.
- remove black border from amazon associate bot (bot generates 120 px wide x 250px tall, perfect expecpt for black border)
- Would like to figure out some way to do all of this by applying most styles to the left and right columns instead of the center column, so that the content doesn't show up in the joomla editor (JCE) with huge left and right margins that make it hard to edit.
- Finally, when all fixes are done, take this joomla template, copy it, and make the copy into a wordpress template to be applied to an install elsewhere on the same host
look forward to rec'ing your bids