We need a database to enable comparison shopping for financial products. Database needs to have same functionality as moneysupermarket.com.
* Allow customers to search for various financial products using certain criteria and sort or display the results according to customer criteria.
* Customers to be able to click through to supplier's sites to apply for products that are of interest to them.
* Customers to be able to store their previous searches or products that they marked for future reference.
* Super admin to control other users
* Authorised suppliers to have access to their products to allow products to be added/edited/deleted.
* Reporting on searches, clicks and products selected by users.
* We would like the ability to allow suppliers to push their data feed to us via XML or other feed mechanism.
Site uses Joomla for content management, so user registration would be based on Joomla's user table and all functionality will take place in Joomla's environment, using site templates etc.
In due course, we will be introducing an additional insurance quote feature that will allow customers to supply data to us (via form). We will then push this data to suppliers for their server to return quotes to us within the same session, and these quotes to be presented to our customer. Because each insurer will have different data communication protocols, each insurer will require a separate library. While you are not bidding on this component yet, you need to be aware of this fact when designing the database.