This is for a user-friendly club registry that would provide listings of car clubs by various criteria and allow users to search for specific brands, models, or locations. Specific info we'd need clubs to supply would include:
Contact Email, phone, postal address - with the abilty to hide each one from the public, separately
Restrictions (as in only accept Mopar owners or open to all)
Website URL (to link us to them and them to us)
One or two photos of sharply limited size, e.g. not over 50K and limited to JPG or GIF
We will need a customized email-back confirmation registration process for email verification and spam protection and admin approval for content control and spam protection.
Three categories which people could browse OR search:
1) Regional (see later note)
2) Make/model/engine specific - can send list of makes, models, engines. Some clubs cover an entire brand, e.g. Dodge Brothers Club. Some clubs cover multiple brands, e.g. Walter P. Chrysler Restorers Club. Both should show up when browsing or searching, but the all-brand clubs should probably be listed at the end.
3) National club (for local branches)
I think the best thing to do is to allow people to select the checkboxes which describe their group, and then let them select radio buttons for their specifics. I'll need to be able to add new categories as time goes on and meddle with the lists.
4) Type: regional, national, registry, specific marque, specific model(s), all owners
1) Should open to Browse, not registration area
2) Set limits on logo size and file type?
3) Browse by model has to come after you browse by maker. Dodge alone has dozens of vehicles. AJAX would be nice here.
Database can be flat file text OR MySQL OR something like DBM, if I have it.
State/province(s) - clubs should list the state/provinces they cover using two-digit codes, separated by commas (program should be able to search through all these results - e.g. if "NJ,NY,CT is entered, a search for NY or NJ or CT would each find it). Then, separately (and also searchable), checkboxes for:
All (not bound by geography) -- this automatically deselects everything else including state/province
US - East
US - West
US - Midwest
US - North
US - South
Say I have a 1974 Plymouth Valiant and I live in New Jersey. I should be able to find clubs by engine (slant six club), by make (Plymouth Owners, Walter P Chrysler Club), by location (New Jersey, US, Northeastern US, New York City area), and by make (Valiant Owners Registry) - even by year.
If I'm a club owners, I should be able to put in all the listed info, but wherever possible I should see radio buttons, checkboxes, etc. There it would not be unreasonable to show the entire list of cars, with checkboxes, separated by brand. I need to have the ability to put in more car names too as they keep coming up with more!
And I need to have pretty vigorous anti-spam measures because when I don't, I get buried in useless crap from people who are promoting driver's training schools and other scams.
Also ideal would be locking out people based on keywords and IPs that I'd be able to modify easily.