I'm looking to create a website similar in functionality to Reddit and/or Digg.
The site will be a five column layout, with 4 columns housing different 4 channels of user submitted content. The other channel is for other content like news/notes and different types of advertising, etc.
- submissions/voting are separate for each channel
- content (links/descriptions) is submitted from various sources by users and ranked/voted by users
- selecting which of 4 types of content is being submitted
- the URL link to the content
- check option to mark as not safe for work
- login/account is required to submit and/or vote.
- probably requires use of a captcha
The actual submitted content/comments page
- contains/lists the submitted material
- details on who submitted the content and when
- threaded/nested user comments (submitted through a basic form)
Content is ranked using a type of popularity algorithm. I'm looking for some input on how this might be implemented, existing solutions may already be out there. Either way this would take into account a number of things behind the scenes like:
- votes up over a specific period of time
- score/trust for domain of link
- profile of submitter
- profile(s) of voters
- (percentage of) down votes
in addition to voting and commenting, users would be able to report submissions:
- as spam (limit of a certain number then automatically removed/hidden)
- wrong category (reported to mods/admins)
- as repost (limit of a certain number then removed/hidden)
- as gone 404 or removed from host/host down
- as offensive/illegal
- as not safe for work (certain number automatically flags the NSFW label)
- are rewarded points for posting quality material, good comments and points marked down for spam, poor comments etc
- can see what they submitted
- can view their comments
- what they voted up and down
> you can hide/unhide 1, 2 or 3 of the four content columns
> you can have links open in a new window
> can turn on/off the NSFW filter
> can choose between light/dark css style sheets
> set how many front page links you want - default 10? 5-25
> block/ignore certain sites, list/edit your blocked sites
> can edit password
- login required to post/comment etc
- CMS would allow for a rotation of content pieces here. Primarily different advertising blocks, and news content. What modules show can be controlled/tested by percentages, for example: set it to show news block 20% of the time, ad block 1 40% of the time and ad block 2 40% of the time.
- CMS for managing threads, CSS stylesheets, and site content pages
- warning for spamming
- warnings for abuse
- ban/unban accounts
- ban/unban IPs
- remove threads
- edit threads
- edit static sponsored ads certain locations, sheduled to run for specified time.
- review reported content
- ability to add/remove other members to your list of friends, and view their submissions and votes
- ability to send internal messages to other users via a form
- need a blog to report news, updates etc. modifying wordpress might be a good fit for this, but open to feedback.
- the site should be built to be compatible with the use of flat URLs
- nsfw links go through a filter/warning landing page requiring a second click unless turned off by user.
- archives / toplist of most lulled (within a certain period of time? monthly, alltime?)
- password reset required in case of forgotten passwords
- RSS implementation for content channels
- security an important consideration, no code injection allowed etc.
- site is largely text based, and will need to be done using css, allowing for easy future editing.
Much of this functionality may already be present in some existing community software packages but would require modification. This site could potentially be built using a modified version of drupaligg, pligg or entirely with custom programming.