We are a coffee roaster/retailer, and we carry re-loadable gift cards which can be bought, re-loaded and used for purchase in our brick-and-mortar retail stores. These cards run on a platform called Mellennia ([url removed, login to view]).
We would like to integrate these gift cards into our existing Shopify store in two ways:
1. We would like customers to be able to add funds to their card on our Shopify site, using their card's serial number. The steps would be, roughly:
- On a Shopify product page, the customer would select the amount of money they would like to add to their card (in denominations of $10, $25, $50 or $100), and then add it to their cart
- The customer would go through the usual checkout process in Shopify to pay for the reload
- Once the payment has been successfully processed, an XML request would be sent to Mellennia's server to add the specified amount of money to the card.
2. We would like to add a new payment method in our Shopify checkout, so customers can use their gift card for purchase. Roughly:
- When selecting payment method, the customer chooses "JJ Bean Coffee Card"
- They are prompted to enter their card's ID number
- An XML request is sent to Mellennia's server to debit the checkout total from the card. If the card has sufficient funds you will get a successful XML response
- Once a successful XML request is processed, the checkout is complete.
I have seen conflicting information about whether something like this is even possible in Shopify. If you think this is something you can do, I look forward to hearing from you. If you have done work like this before, I would appreciate seeing an example or two.
If you need any more specific info, I'd be happy to provide it.
Thanks in advance!
JJ Bean Coffee Roasters