My main desire is to provide my clients with the highest quality, award winning graphics and illustration that I possibly can.
I have been doing so for well over 25 years.
• The ability to handle multiple projects under tight deadlines
• Extensive experience in Art Direction, Graphic Design and Illustration
• Strong communication skills with marketing managers and creative staff
• Excellent client presentation skills.
• Experience in managing a creative staff and outside vendors
• Ability to negotiate with vendors and graphic arts suppliers
• Ability to work in both traditional and computer design environments
• Award winning designer and illustrator
• Ability to organize and implement.
• Self starting and needs little supervision once a direction is established
• Concept and Headline creator
2005-2010 Contractor for The Van Noy Group, Inc. National brand package design and collateral. Clients include: Orchard Supply Hardware, Corona tools, Rug Dr., ShopVac, Central Garden & Pet, Lambert Bridge Winery, Brutocao Winery.
1999-2005 Broderbund, Inc., Novato, CA
Senior Level Graphic Designer—contract work/freelance design and production of software packaging and collateral material. Including National Geographic, Encyclopedia Brittanica, American Greetings, Print Shop, PrintMaster, Calendar Creator, COSMOPOLITAN, Family Tree Maker and many more
1998-1999 Mindscape Software, Novato, CA
Senior Level Graphic Designer—full time employee responsible for direct mail projects for PrintMaster, 108 years of The National Geographic on CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, National Geographic Trip Planner, Lego Island and American Greetings CreataCard Gold. (Note: Mindscape was bought by Riverdeep in 1999)
1989-1998 Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., San Francisco, CA
CRS communications division
Senior Art Director/Associate Creative Director
Responsible for direct mail and collateral for a billion dollar stock brokerage and financial services corporation.
• Schwab Institutional Web page direct mail print project with: outer envelopes direct mail brochures, user guides and counter cards
• Lead Art Director on the Charles Schwab-SchwabOne debit card project team
• Instrumental in the Launch of the International subsidiary of Charles Schwab & Co for Hong Kong and London. Under very tight deadlines to provide high quality, high profile collateral for the opening of the Asian and European main offices.
• Designed and produced ads for local, regional and national sections of Wall Street Journal, Investors Business Daily and Money Magazine.
• Art Directed designed and press checked a multitude of statement stuffers, Software Boxes, Direct Mail campaigns for business and
• Computer graphics and illustrations for a variety of projects
1978 -1989 McDonel Design Associates, San Francisco, CA
Owned and operated my own business for ten+ years and created award winning illustrations and designs for a wide variety of clients in San Francisco and the Bay Area, as well as national and international clients.
Completed all phases of concept through press check of a wide variety of advertising and collateral. I also estimated, purchase and press checked printing from outside sources from small-run 2-color jobs, to 36-page 8-color web catalogs- printed in the millions.
My client list included:
U.S. Leasing Corporation (a subsidiary of Ford Motor Co.),
Levi Strauss, Sun Microsystems, Island Graphics Corporation, Timex Corporation, Bank of America, Sun Maid Raisin Growers Assoc., Royal Norsk Salmon, Incentive Dimensions, Pacific Bell Directory, Wilsey Bennett Freight and Freelance assignments for many of the major advertising agencies in San Francisco
EDUCATION B.A. in Graphic Communications from San Diego State University
Awarded “Distinction in the Major” by the Dean of Professional Studies
TEACHING One year as instructor at the Academy of Art College, San Francisco.
Class taught: Introduction to Illustration
I have guest lectured and substitute taught Illustration at California College of Arts & Crafts, San Jose State University and San Francisco City College.
AWARDS Print Magazine Design Annual; DESI magazine annual; Twice selected for the
Los Angeles Society of Illustrators Annual exhibit. Charles Schwab’s advertising department (CRS communications) won 2 EFFIE awards in 1994 for most effective advertising in the category of financial services—Television and Direct Mail.
2002: San Francisco Gallery award for graphic design.
PRO-BONO Logo and graphics for the Marin Humane Society, Novato,CA.
computer 20 + years on the Macintosh computer. Expert with QuarkXpress, InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Carrara 3D software, Adobe ImageReady, Flight Check software, Extensis Pre-Flight Pro, Dreamweaver for the web. I also have some PC computer experience.
Ability to quickly learn new software programs and procedures.
Excellent references furnished upon request.
Salary/RATE Salary negotiable. Freelance rates on request.