First of all, we want to build a configurator for darts and tried several Wordpress Plugins yet (Fancy Product Designer incl. Multistep Product Configurator, Composite Products, WooCommerce Visual Product Configurator).
Our favorite is the Fancy Product Designer but this plugin is unfortunately not really fitting to our requirements for the configurator:
- we have 4 components our customers can configure when building their own dart (tips, barrels, shafts and flights)
- each component has individual attributes (Example "Barrels": 1. Weight; 2. Length; 3. Grip; 4. Design) and our customers define them step by step during configuration
- we need a live configuration view so our customers can see the changes while configuring their darts (Example "Barrels": When starting the configuration, a blank barrel (medium length) will be displayed. When choosing the weight nothing happens, but when choosing length, the blank barrel gets a bit bigger/smaller or stays the same size (if medium is selected). When choosing grip nothing happens too, but in the last step when choosing design, the selected barrel designs will be displayed in live view again so customer can see the final item selected.)
- we need an easy way to maintain the items incl. data (price; detailed product information) into the system/configurator
- in the beginning we have around 300+ items to maintain with individual prices
- we need an easy way to define rules (Example "Barrels": When maintaining the barrel with following attributes: 16g weight, medium length, grip level 3, yellow design, we need to set up a rule that says: When <16g> weight, <medium> length, grip level <3>, show all design options with this criteria)
- the items need thumbnails so the customer can see what they are selecting
- we need rules within the configurator so customers can easy change their items and its attributes (Example "Barrels": Customer starts configuring the barrel component and chooses following attributes: 16g as weight, medium length, grip level 3 and yellow design. The customer then wants to change the weight to 18g, so there should be two rule possibilities: 1. If the exact barrel is available in 18g, the barrel selection and live view shouldn't change after changing the weight attribute. The customer doesn't need to define the other attributes again 2. If the exact barrel isn't available in 18g, but there are other barrels with same attributes of medium length and grip level 3, the last attribute selection (design) resets and he needs to choose another design)
- the configurator plugin should be compatible with WooCommerce or another shop plugin we can use for WordPress
The problem we had with "Fancy Product Designer & Multistep Product Configurator" was the implementation of product data. We needed to define each product variation but we have so many different items and over [url removed, login to view] possible product variations, we couldn’t enter all the data by hand.
We have thumbnail and product images ready to use in .png format. We also made up detailed information and names.
I hope that my description of what we need is detailed enough, please ask if something is unclear.
We still love the design layout of the "Fancy Product Designer" plug in and its extension, so maybe it is possible to customize them for our use?
How can we otherwise set up a product configurator for little money?
P.S.: Our website is [url removed, login to view] (old landing page) or [url removed, login to view] (in the building)